How to Secure THAT book contract
How do you grab the attention of a publisher with your picture book story?
Aim for different. Think of something close to your heart and make it interesting.
Be creative. Mix up those ideas and concepts in your own unique way. It’s all about creating a wonderful experience for your reader.
Make it memorable. Make your reader pause and pay attention.
There’s more to a story than just your great vocabulary and grammar. These are essential tools, but it’s the magic that happens when your story changes the way your reader feels after reading it.
See your vision. Capture it. Write it. Keep at it. It’s not impossible.
Tips to remember:
1. Read current picture books. Examine them and see how the words and pictures work together.
2. It’s not easy to tell a story in under 500 words so every word counts. A picture book is a marriage of words and pictures. You must leave room for the illustrator to interpret the story.
3. Every spread must be a page turner filled with fun and surprise.
4. Kids don’t like to be lectured. Keep it fun but with an underlying message that isn’t preachy.
5. Don’t ever send out your manuscript just after you’ve finished it. Put your manuscript away for a few days.
6. Go back to your manuscript with fresh eyes. This will allow you to see your work more objectively. Editing and re-editing your manuscript will get it to the stage at which an editor will want to read it. Make sure your manuscript is flawless before you send it out.
7. Research publishers before submitting your work. Check out their lists and see what types of books they’re publishing.
8. Always, always follow the specific submission guidelines offered by the publisher. They’re specific for a reason.
9. A good cover letter is the key to the door. Keep it brief and to the point. Make it catchy and impressive. Don’t be chatty. Use short paragraphs.
10. It all comes down to hard work. If you put in the hard yards, you’ll reap in the rewards.
Getting a book contract is hard work. But if you stick with it, good things will come your way.
I hope this helps to inspire others to follow their dreams.
Now … DO IT! :-)
WOW! Another exciting contract delivery!! I'm delighted to announce that I've just received another picture book contract. :-) This time it's with Little Pink Dog Books. The illustrator is the wonderfully talented artist, Demelsa Haughton Illustration. Thank you so much Peter and Kathy. Two contracts in two days - a definite first. Now, that's three contracts in two months. To say I'm excited is an understatement. What a great way to start 2018. ;-)
Just received a wonderful surprise - a picture book contract!!!! :-) Thank you EK Books. This time I'm teamed up with the lovely and talented artist, Andrea Edmonds. Thank you again Anouska Jones. I'm doing my celebratory happy dance :-)
Before Christmas of last year, I signed a picture book contract with Big Sky Publishing. Woo-hoo!! It was a wonderful way to end the year. Very happy :-) Thank you again, Big Sky Publishing. This time I'm working with a new illustrator.
Welcome to my blog page!
Here you will find the latest news and updates on my writing and published books.